1. Please introduce yourself. Tell us who you are and what it is that you do.
"My name is Dr. Kevin Gebo. I am a Yamaha Performing Artist as well a freelance trumpeter in the Washington Metropolitan area and a member of The U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own.” I also frequently travel around to different universities and music festivals to give masterclasses and perform as a guest artist."
2. What is your favorite thing about playing the trumpet?
"My favorite thing about playing the trumpet is the opportunities that it has given me over the years. I have travelled and performed in six different countries, performed the anthem for numerous MLB games, played for two US presidents, performed and helped organize music for the recent Papal visit and performed as a featured guest on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno”. I have been very fortunate in getting to do all of these things within something that I absolutely love doing."
3. What was the best advice you've ever received? (musical or nonmusical)
"Always have fun playing the trumpet, and always be nice to people. The musical world is incredibly small."
4. What has been one of your most memorable musical experiences? (whether it be sentimental, terrifying, or just plain weird)
"Probably performing on The Tonight Show. The whole experience was amazing, and I’ll never forget hearing my name announced by Jay and the curtains opening up for a live taping! Talk about the red light being on! Also, finally getting to record my own solo CD. That was a project I had always dreamed of completing."
5. What can someone expect from studying with you at #FredBrassMass?
"I always try and get my students to make their playing as effortless as they possibly can. I’m also big on teaching a student to get inside their own head and start being more aware of the things they want to improve and fix in their playing."
Find more #wednesdaywisdom posts on our blog or our Facebook page!