1. Please introduce yourself. Tell us who you are and what it is that you do.
My name is Greg Spiridopoulos; I’m the Principal Trombonist of the Albany Symphony, Rhode Island Philharmonic and Glimmerglass Festival Orchestra, as well as a member of the Empire Brass Quintet. In addition, I teach full-time at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
2. What is your favorite thing about playing the trombone?
The versatility of the instrument--it’s at home in any genre.
3. What was the best advice you've ever received? (musical or nonmusical)
Do or do not, there is no try. —Yoda
4. What has been one of your most memorable musical experiences? (whether it be sentimental, terrifying, or just plain weird)
I had the opportunity to perform the Rouse Trombone Concerto with the Albany Symphony in 2014. The Rouse is one of the most challenging concertos in our repertoire, and it was a thrill to perform it for an audience of over 2,000.
5. What can someone expect from studying with you at #FredBrassMass?
Students can expect to learn something new in their approach to the trombone. Bringing out the best in everyone is my goal as a teacher.
Find more #wednesdaywisdom posts on our blog or our Facebook page!